Monday, November 19, 2012

William Day Value



7 comments:

  1. Looking great Will! It looks like it could be for an app design or a video game. I like that you gave your sky a nice gradation and your values seem to work really well. I had to look for a long time to find something constructive to say, but what I came up with is that I noticed you have some hills in the distance, which are close to the same value as the sky above them. This is so not-a-big-deal, but maybe you could indicate more separation between them? Really great job with this assignment!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This one has a very interesting feel. It makes me think "video game environment". Which I am hoping was your goal. I like how you managed your space, and also how you picked an interesting place for exploration. I do feel you need to push the relations between the hard and soft edges in your values to describe your forms better, and I also feel that you could have also decorated a little more "history" into the piece. Perhaps by adding more cracks in the building structures, chipped paint, and more textural cues. Some of the stones could be missing in the walls, cobwebs, anything that could work in this particular environment.
    Good job Will!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you did a really good job at indicating human scale with the well, the cart, and the coheisve door heights. You also did a good job at creating a stage where action can happen. I can imagine where I'd put the people. I like how clean you kept all your value separations- it read very clearly. The town does feel abandoned though. This is a small thing, but I might add some human clutter, maybe some wash hanging out a window, a dog tied up, a collection of tall water vases outside someones door, things like that. Overall, good job Will :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like your composition, you captured a nice feel for the piece. I like the shapes of your buildings and the way you rendered them to look old while staying in perspective. You controlled your values well, and controlled the shadows and lighting as well. It looks good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cool! This has nice values and feel. everything has a consistent design. The composition is almost really great, I just wish the three buildings weren't equally prevalent. If one of them stood out more than the others though value or something. I also feel like the buildings could be more integrated with the land if they had less outlinyness on the bottom, or some plants rocks or dirt breaking up the lines where buildings and walls connect with the ground. It looks good though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The only thing I would say is to use a harder edged brush. The default soft round brush digital programs have to offer can often cheapen paintings more than it helps. You've got such a nice line drawing that's very organic and warm, but the values are too "fake" to match.

    ReplyDelete
  7. All of you are Spot on with your comments and I will incorporate all of them when I push this to color. Thank You all so much!

    ReplyDelete