Tuesday, November 20, 2012

William Day App Bedroom Design

 I still want to work on the overall room lighting and color scheme.  Also I think I need a few more objects on the left side.  Please leave comments.




5 comments:

  1. Nice Will! Is this a second one for this assignment? I think I saw a Jerusalem outdoor scene you did. Anyway, good stuff! I love all there is to see in the image -- my eyes keep discovering things! I like how you dealt in masses (big shapes) with the things on the floor (a taller shape with the globe and shelf, a shorter one with the bed). I would say you are totally right about the lighting and color scheme. Color schemes are hard for me, but they really unite a piece. Perhaps some warmer colors? Also, with the lighting, perhaps pick a more definite place that the light is coming from -- it seems to be from the middle of the room right now. I think if you were to make a soft light with soft shadows it could make it feel more inviting and cozy. I learned some where that uplighting (like shining a flashlight in your face when telling a spooky story) gives an unnerving feeling. Consider this with the lighting -- esp. on the birds top right. Perhaps some window light raking light across a wall to give a diagonal element?

    It looks great man and I'm excited to see the app! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You could probably put some more drawings (pictures, etc) on the left wall. The lighting has a few inconsistencies; there should be a cast shadow under the keyboard and drawers and such. And if you wanted you could put in a few gradients on the walls and other large objects; that could help differentiate the space. I personally wouldn't use plain white on the door as it feels out of place compared to the rest of the colors. It's looking good though. I think you're on the right track.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Will-- this looks really sharp! I like it.
    -The perspective is SOLID. I feel like this room actually exists! Great Work.

    -There are a few tangents, though--the bedpost closest to the bedroom door is making a tangent with the desk which holds her scriptures. If those were gone the viewer's eye could flow through your beautiful image MUCH easier.

    -Also, value is a wonderful tool for creating a focal point. My favorite way to do this is with creating a dramatic contrast between light and dark; it makes us want to look at it! like bright stars against the night sky, or like looking at someone's eyes... they are designed to be an area of high contrast on our face, and it creates interest.

    -I like the composition overall; I feel like it would be hard to keep the eye within the page/composition with so much going on in the picture, but you do well with keeping the eye captive within the frame. The lines all draw my eye inward. If you fix those tangents I believe the composition will meet its highest potential!

    Thanks for all the work you put in to make this neat image! (:

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is soo cool and fun Will! Which ever little girl lives here is really cool and I want to know her. :) So I agree with you - you could add something on the left - maybe just a little stuffed animal of the bed...I dunno. Speaking of the bed, it seems a little weird that it's so low. Is that how beds are sometimes for kids? There's a good play between straight lines and objects and round/curved ones. I think it would be cool to have a couple more big round objects though. Like if one of the square frames were round instead? I'm not totally sue, but just check out the balance and see if it feels balanced to you. Maybe instead you could have a rounded object intercept the door. Eh. but anyhow, I think you nailed the look for an app. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The color scheme is really fun, and excellent line work. The only thing I would suggest is that the room seems a bit too perfectly organized for a child's room. The pictures on the walls are perfectly rectangular and straight, the bed doesn't have one wrinkle, the shoes are perfectly lined up. Even the best of kids don't pay that much attention to detail. A lived-in feeling would bring more life to it and more of the character's energy. I'm excited to see how this will turn out!

    ReplyDelete