Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Alison Johnstun


9 comments:

  1. This looks really nice Alison. I think you've got a lot of great details and creativity in its design. As far as improvements go I would just say to tighten up the figure and things that are closer to the viewer. But really, it's a great looking environment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alison this turned out gorgeous! I love the light in the distance and how well you used atmospheric perspective. I like how you did the bark on the tree on the right side; maybe you could put a little more definition in the leaves of that tree to kinda match the trunk? It wouldn't need much though. Beautiful work!

    By the way, that cool statue looks like a ninetales pokemon :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the lighting on this, it's great! I love your statue and the little character on the right side. I also really love the composition of this, it works really nicely. The only thing I would say would be to tighten up a few things just a little bit, mostly the rocks on the left side of the page. Really great work, Alison!

    ReplyDelete
  4. As a thumbnail, this piece feels perfect, and that is what I feel is most important when creating an environment. All that really need to be done, is sharpening up the image so that it can be appreciated in a larger scale. You definitely capture a good sense of atmosphere in this piece as well. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The quality of light in this piece is awesome! Good work with values. My only critiques are that it is a little ambiguous what is happening with the landscape under the statue, it seems alot higher in elevation than everything else, which is totally possible, how that works is just hidden by the structure in the foreground. I also wonder if the little buildings are houses, if so they seem very empty/ not unique from one to the next. If they are little shrines or something like that they seem very clean and new and not as weathered or grown in as I would expect. All together very nice though, all of that can be taken care of easily if you choose this one for color and detail.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Excellent separation of values and great control of lighting!
    It feels very soft and luminous, and has an interesting path for the eye to wander through.
    My only real confusion is the structures: are they dog houses or little huts or... They look cool, I just don't know if they're big enough to serve creatures the size of the one on the right.

    Good job! This will be really cool if you decide to take it to a finish!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the sense of atmosphere you have captured! It look great, I want to visit this place! I like the value shapes you have created. I agree with everyone else in saying maybe work on the little house a bit, and add more details. Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  8. i know you already have 7 comments and i've already written my 7 comments. this is therefore an extra for both of us. i just have to say something to your piece! VERY NICELY DONE! you always wow us with good sense of lighting and the mood of the space created by it. this piece has a mysterious air to it that intrigue me to want to know what's the story behind this place. the value grouping enhances the composition that you already have well designed. like mitch said, i'd sharpen up a little bit but i think you would do that when you bring the piece upto the finish for the color, rite? i can't wait to see the final one! great work, alison!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the feed back. The structures were built as shrines, but the little forest guys moved into them.

    ReplyDelete