Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Amber McDonald - Tone Assignment


My short film will be about monsters that are expert at camouflage, and make themselves a part of their environments.  This is one of the environments they will emerge from.

7 comments:

  1. This is really well rendered Amber! I think it is looking nice and there is definitely a mood to the environment. It seems a little mysterious. You could darken the foreground trees and maybe add some more shadowy clouds in on the right side to bring make your light areas stand out more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those railroad tracks are really nicely rendered. Are the moonbeams highlighting where the monsters come out of? I was a little confused by the bridge shadow though. It seems really long for how high the moon is in the sky. However, I do like how ominous the shadow feels.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the mood of the shot. One thing I ask myself as I immediately stare at it is: What medium is it? I know that it is a mix of 3d objects and digital painting, However, I think it would be useful to pick the style you want it in and then make the whole piece adhere to that. However if it's just reference for a live-action film then it's fine- but if it's an animated film I think you'll need to take this and reder it all consistently. Also, the foreground trees I don't think need as much detail as you put. Overall, very nice :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice! This definitely has that monster mood! It might help to think of the values in groups (background, midground, foreground) and arrange them so that things are either getting darker as we go back or lighter (i.e. the tracks and ground behind the bridge would be a diff. value than the ones closer to us and right now it's hard to tell the bridge from the trees behind it -- perhaps take them a little lighter). Also, something I was struggling with was I had the moon in the shot (like what you have) but my light didn't necessarily follow that source. I feel like the bridge's shadow might be more angled to the right. Perhaps some edges in the back could be softened to give more depth? Overall, looks really nice! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good job creating a creepy mood. I like how all the lines lead toward the bridge where there's a lot of contrast of light and shapes so it becomes the center of interest. I think maybe the beams of light from the moon wouldn't block out what's behind them quite so much. They almost look like smoke somehow. But I like the effect of the light through the clouds and on the trees. The textures are very cool. I like it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. the rays of sunlight have a texture that would suggest they are shooting through fog, yet as far as I can tell no fog is present. a possible solution is to look at Pascal Campion's work and see how he handles sun rays(he is really great with lighting!)
    The railroad tracks look great; the perspective is really convincing. you got the values spot-on if you ask me; they create an illusion of space, and the more ambiguous values in the bushes would suggest mystery. Nice work, friend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. AWWWWWW MAN! I was so excited to start looking for monsters when I read your summary but then quickly realized they aren't in there yet :(.... Tear. I kinda want to have some monsters to look for in this now at this point! Like a search game. But...I also really like monsters.

    I think it has a great spooky feel - awesome! I love how you rendered the background - particularly the trees and sky, but the bridge seems out of place. The edges are just a bit too sharp and it seems a little flat in comparison. Also, I think some of the shadows across the tracks might be a little too sharp. But I love how you played with the diagonals of the tracks and the diagonals of the moonlight. Awesome! The whole composition is really sound. Oh except there might be a tiny problem in the bottom right corner with the tangents. That's an easy fix though. Good job friend!

    ReplyDelete