o man! i love this one! your ship is just a killer. very well drawn structure. the fading effect around the ship as it disappears into the distance is very beautifully done. it adds very mystic atmosphere to the piece - i just love it. the glaciers are also well positioned/designed to help the composition work together. if i have to say something that would make this better would be just my suggestion of making the glaciers that are close to the ship ligher in value rather than ones in front? i don't know if this would work but i just feel a little bit more contrast/focus around the ship (however this is done) might make this even better?? i think?? i don't know. this works and i love this as it is! very well done!!
I wish I were as good at ships as you are. This is solid, are you making little ships for your bfa?
Here is my only gripe with this. The iceberg that is by the front of the ship is kind of leading us off the page. I'm not sure how to make this not happen. Perhaps you could make it a little less outlined? or you could put something in the background to lead us back? although i really do like how falt the background is. Maybe someone else wil give you a good idea.
Of course we could count on James to draw a super awesome ship! And it really is awesome. I think my favorite parts are the subtle details like the highlights on the ropes, but I also like that you allowed it to fade back into space. I think the design and placement of the ship is good, I think the only thing you could improve is the icebergs like other people have said. I think they are a little too dark by the boat, but overall awesome piece!
First, this totally reminds me of this awesome movie trailer which you should definitely take a look at: http://vimeo.com/38442550
I really like the atmosphere here. Even without using color, it feels really cold and foggy to me. I think adding just a hint of more icebergs or something in the background would add alot though. I agree that bringing the lighter values more into the middle of the composition would help guide the eye into the picture rather than out of it. I'm also wondering what happened to the sails. It might be cool to have some tattered shreds hanging from the masts or something--it doesn't necessarily need it, but I think that would add to the whole stuck/ruined ship story.
James this turned out really well. I think you get the sense of the atmosphere around and behind the ship. I like how you reserved the lightest lights and darkest darks for the ship to bring the focus there. I think you could check the perspective on bowsprit, but I am probably wrong. Nice!
James this turned out really well. I think you get the sense of the atmosphere around and behind the ship. I like how you reserved the lightest lights and darkest darks for the ship to bring the focus there. I think you could check the perspective on bowsprit, but I am probably wrong. Nice!
I really like how this turned out. The atmosphere is awesome and like how you've rendered the ship. I think that making the parts of the ship that are closer to us a bit darker will add a bit more depth and draw more focus to it.
James, I commented on this one based almost solely on the subject matter. James, freakin' heck, you draw the coolest things! We would have been best friends growing up. Did I tell you I was a pirate every year from K-6 grade accept for 2 times? Remember my Shackleton from earlier this year? I would now like to tell you a lengthy story from my childhood:
Whether I shall turn out to be the hero of my own life, or whether that station will be held by anybody else, these pages must show. To begin my life with the beginning of my life, I record that I was born (as I have been informed and believe) on a Friday, at twelve o'clock at night. It was remarked that the clock began to strike, and I began to cry, simultaneously.
In consideration of the day and hour of my birth, it was declared by the nurse, and by some sage women in the neighbourhood who had taken a lively interest in me several months before there was any possibility of our becoming personally acquainted, first, that I was destined to be unlucky in life; and secondly, that I was privileged to see ghosts and spirits; both these gifts inevitably attaching, as they believed, to all unlucky infants of either gender, born towards the small hours on a Friday night.
I need say nothing here, on the first head, because nothing can show better than my history whether that prediction was verified or falsified by the result. On the second branch of the question, I will only remark, that unless I ran through that part of my inheritance while I was still a baby, I have not come into it yet. But I do not at all complain of having been kept out of this property; and if anybody else should be in the present enjoyment of it, he is heartily welcome to keep it.
So you see James, I really have a fondness for ships and ship building as well. Perhaps we should both grow out our hair and eat green shakes and pretend to be Spencer when he goes home to his island in Maine. They'll never know and then we could start a studio that sells illustrations and fishing equipment.
And now a word about the specifics of your piece. I like how everything is in a lighter value range -- it creates a feeling of cold and fog -- but I think it might be helpful to emphasize your light source a bit more as it relates to the side of the ship and the rigging. It might also be nice to push the foreground ice we see a little darker to let us know it is closer than the background. This might be hard because it is white snow -- perhaps a lighter background, perhaps rendering out the foreground ice a little more caringly and let the texture give us a depth cue. Along with that I would just crispify some of the values (i.e. the piece of ice jutting the highest on our left side of the ship, it's value seems to leak out into the sky a bit or the sky leaks into it). All in all -- IMPRESSIVE! Spot on my good chap!
o man! i love this one! your ship is just a killer. very well drawn structure. the fading effect around the ship as it disappears into the distance is very beautifully done. it adds very mystic atmosphere to the piece - i just love it. the glaciers are also well positioned/designed to help the composition work together. if i have to say something that would make this better would be just my suggestion of making the glaciers that are close to the ship ligher in value rather than ones in front? i don't know if this would work but i just feel a little bit more contrast/focus around the ship (however this is done) might make this even better?? i think?? i don't know. this works and i love this as it is! very well done!!
ReplyDeleteThis is soo soo cool! Soooooo Cooooooooool.
ReplyDeleteI wish I were as good at ships as you are. This is solid, are you making little ships for your bfa?
Here is my only gripe with this. The iceberg that is by the front of the ship is kind of leading us off the page. I'm not sure how to make this not happen. Perhaps you could make it a little less outlined? or you could put something in the background to lead us back? although i really do like how falt the background is. Maybe someone else wil give you a good idea.
Of course we could count on James to draw a super awesome ship! And it really is awesome. I think my favorite parts are the subtle details like the highlights on the ropes, but I also like that you allowed it to fade back into space. I think the design and placement of the ship is good, I think the only thing you could improve is the icebergs like other people have said. I think they are a little too dark by the boat, but overall awesome piece!
ReplyDeleteFirst, this totally reminds me of this awesome movie trailer which you should definitely take a look at: http://vimeo.com/38442550
ReplyDeleteI really like the atmosphere here. Even without using color, it feels really cold and foggy to me. I think adding just a hint of more icebergs or something in the background would add alot though. I agree that bringing the lighter values more into the middle of the composition would help guide the eye into the picture rather than out of it. I'm also wondering what happened to the sails. It might be cool to have some tattered shreds hanging from the masts or something--it doesn't necessarily need it, but I think that would add to the whole stuck/ruined ship story.
James this turned out really well. I think you get the sense of the atmosphere around and behind the ship. I like how you reserved the lightest lights and darkest darks for the ship to bring the focus there. I think you could check the perspective on bowsprit, but I am probably wrong. Nice!
ReplyDeleteJames this turned out really well. I think you get the sense of the atmosphere around and behind the ship. I like how you reserved the lightest lights and darkest darks for the ship to bring the focus there. I think you could check the perspective on bowsprit, but I am probably wrong. Nice!
ReplyDeleteI really like how this turned out. The atmosphere is awesome and like how you've rendered the ship. I think that making the parts of the ship that are closer to us a bit darker will add a bit more depth and draw more focus to it.
ReplyDeleteJames, I commented on this one based almost solely on the subject matter. James, freakin' heck, you draw the coolest things! We would have been best friends growing up. Did I tell you I was a pirate every year from K-6 grade accept for 2 times? Remember my Shackleton from earlier this year? I would now like to tell you a lengthy story from my childhood:
ReplyDeleteWhether I shall turn out to be the hero of my own life, or whether that station will be held by anybody else, these pages must show. To begin my life with the beginning of my life, I record that I was born (as I have been informed and believe) on a Friday, at twelve o'clock at night. It was remarked that the clock began to strike, and I began to cry, simultaneously.
In consideration of the day and hour of my birth, it was declared by the nurse, and by some sage women in the neighbourhood who had taken a lively interest in me several months before there was any possibility of our becoming personally acquainted, first, that I was destined to be unlucky in life; and secondly, that I was privileged to see ghosts and spirits; both these gifts inevitably attaching, as they believed, to all unlucky infants of either gender, born towards the small hours on a Friday night.
I need say nothing here, on the first head, because nothing can show better than my history whether that prediction was verified or falsified by the result. On the second branch of the question, I will only remark, that unless I ran through that part of my inheritance while I was still a baby, I have not come into it yet. But I do not at all complain of having been kept out of this property; and if anybody else should be in the present enjoyment of it, he is heartily welcome to keep it.
So you see James, I really have a fondness for ships and ship building as well. Perhaps we should both grow out our hair and eat green shakes and pretend to be Spencer when he goes home to his island in Maine. They'll never know and then we could start a studio that sells illustrations and fishing equipment.
And now a word about the specifics of your piece. I like how everything is in a lighter value range -- it creates a feeling of cold and fog -- but I think it might be helpful to emphasize your light source a bit more as it relates to the side of the ship and the rigging. It might also be nice to push the foreground ice we see a little darker to let us know it is closer than the background. This might be hard because it is white snow -- perhaps a lighter background, perhaps rendering out the foreground ice a little more caringly and let the texture give us a depth cue. Along with that I would just crispify some of the values (i.e. the piece of ice jutting the highest on our left side of the ship, it's value seems to leak out into the sky a bit or the sky leaks into it). All in all -- IMPRESSIVE! Spot on my good chap!
Hey everybody, thank you for your suggestions and compliments, I appreciate them very much.
ReplyDeleteP.S. that was the second time I said that. I don't know what happened to the first one that I posted.
Delete