Friday, November 16, 2012

Finnegan is dead

Kinsey Lewis

8 comments:

  1. Oh poor Finnegan! I think you did really well with the composition, and I like the skewed-ness of the perspective (how the coffin curves a little instead of running off the page). The only thing I can think of is maybe to put more light and shadow on Mr. Finnegan, so it harmonizes with the environment he's in.

    I hope the other character recovers quickly from this tragedy :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am feeling a strong sense of style, energy, and story in this piece. My only worry is that I am having trouble distinguishing a light source. I would recommend using the fire place as the dominate light source when it comes to separating light and dark. if there is another light source I would have it play more as a secondary source to avoid confusion. Interesting piece though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really love the line quality on Finnegan, how there are thicks and thins and some texture in the lines. I wish there was a little more of that throughout the rest of the piece. Not to the extent that you did on Finnegan, but just a little to make the piece feel a little more cohesive. I really love the style of this. It's very interesting and fun to look at. Good work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fun piece! The perspective is kinda skiwampus, but in a generally consistent and cool way that works. Something about the vase of flowers seems a bit off to me though.... maybe because you can see down into the coffin and it seems like the vase is sitting on the same surface so it should be at the same angle, so you should see down into it too? Maybe thats just me. I wish I could see the characters in the background a bit more distinctly, they're kind of blending in... I think just bringing up the contrast and emphasizing the lighting (fireplace?) on the whole thing would help with that. Looking cool!

    ReplyDelete
  5. don't take me wrong, but i am so glad that mr finnegan is dead in this piece!! - he was a sacrifice for the better cause! i love love love love looooooooove such nice, dark, quirky....? ( i can't find the correct description for your style???? somebody help me here!) style that have consistently throughout your works! and this one is not an exception - almost the best one! the roughness and skewedness go so well with your style that being off perspective and rough line quality actually enhance the mood and characteristics of your work!!! the only thing i would mention is, like others have said, to push the values - make more dramatic. the values are generally in the middle tone throughout the piece. if you just pushed the values a bit more dramatic, this will be the killer piece for me. i know i have said this so many times, but i truly love your style and can't wait to see more of it >_<

    ReplyDelete
  6. What the heck! haha ohhh Kinsey. I love the weirdness (typical you) and that it tells a story. It raises questions and interests the viewers. I think you did better than most in the class at making it narrative. The only thing I can see is a value problem. It might be a scanning issue, but the majority of it seems like one mid value. I'd like to see more contrast - like more dark darks. For instance, the coffin could be made almost black and it would pop right out and make it a greater focus point. BUt ya, anyway, Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a fun concept and story! Really brave going for all the detail, and it all fits well, no overkill. I would expect more dramatic shadows, since the fire seems to be the only light source, it doesn't reach very far, and casts long shadows. Other than that, it looks great. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I definitely need to work ont he background and foreground relationship with value. I can see that now that it's scanned but i totes couldn't when I was working on it. I didn't want to put any ink into the background because I thought it might confuse things but I wish the values were pushed more.

    I like your idead brooke of making the coffin almost black! When I get back I'm going to work on this. I want to make a few more drawings like this to help me set up my shots when I make the film.

    ReplyDelete