Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Miranda Meeks - Value Assignment


9 comments:

  1. Miranda, this is awesome! I love how it feels kind of like the calm after the storm. I'm not exactly sure what the story is, but I can tell that something not-good happened. I like how you have elements leading to the person on the bed like the shoe curing its way to him and the dresser. It's also nice that he has the highest contrast. One thing that I noticed was that the stuff on the left side on the floor is a little mushy, and though it's not the focus and should be a little blurry, maybe giving it a little more definition would help show what it is, because I think it's pants, but I'm not quite sure. But anyway, great job, Miranda!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really want to hear the whole story on this one :)
    Good job on creating a center of focus, and on your separation of values.
    For me though, with the bed frame side nearest the man, it's so much darker than the part under the bed that it doesn't feel connected. Maybe make the bottom bed frame a little closer in value to it?
    I like how the clothes on the outskirts aren't super tightly rendered, but I feel like they could benefit from a few more sharp edges.

    Overall, great lighting! Good job girl!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the contrast in your values, you did a good job drawing the eye to the main focus and leading us around to gather details. I want to know the story as well. I might make the back wall separate from the ground a little more/work on the texture of the floor so that it's what you want it to be. Your piece has a nice airy feel to it. I like that curtains are flowing in to the piece.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the perspective on this one, where you put the viewer really close to the ground. All the little details you added like the cracked mirror, the bottle, add a lot to the story even though they are such small elements. I think the only thing that I would work on is where the bed meets the floor, it doesn't feel as grounded as the dresser does. Great job on this one!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice piece! I really like the point of view you choose, I think it really brings us into the story. The details like the shoe and clothing are convincing and really add to the environment as well. I think you could darken the sides a little to bring our attention even more to the center third and the figure.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You did a really good job with presenting a narrative with this one. I like how the room is gloomy and implies a past conflict while the bright window is peaceful. If you want to heighten the effect, you can push the contrast between the room and the window. I think the cast shadows on the floor could use a little more defining.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice work using the pattern on the wallpaper, it really helps give the room an even stronger sense of form. You've done a good job using your value patterns to enforce your focal point. The dresser is almost competing with that, so you might want to be aware of that, and the value pattern of the image overall is very pale, which isn't a bad thing but you might want to push some more contrast in, especially around the window, you could really make that glow. It could emphasize in contrast the contrast the gloominess of the room.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the perspective you chose for this piece, and there is a good balance of clear storytelling and mystery to draw the viewer into the space and make them want to know more (I sure did, at least ;)). The only suggestion I could make is that I expected more dramatic shadows cast by the figure, and the bed, and the objects on the floor. The window seems like a bright light source, so I expected darker, longer cast shadows. Overall a great design.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey everyone, your comments are all fantastic! I'm learning a lot from your suggestions and I look forward to trying to make this piece better because of you. Thank you for taking the time to help me out!

    ReplyDelete