Thursday, November 15, 2012

Mitchell Ellis - Nifelheim


9 comments:

  1. Hey mitch!

    I like the sharpness of your rocks. The values and light patterns are pretty great too. I think that left side is a little too heavy in value. You could balance it with some other elements on the other side. I don't know anything about nifelheim but i think it would be cool of there was something besides rock in this painting. Maybe trees? weird little creatures?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a really cool design mitch! I especially like the sharp shapes (that's fun to say!) and the shadows throughout the piece. It feels barren and scary, which is probably what you are going for right? I agree with Miranda, I think it would be nice to add something that would give a variety of elements, but that would be up to you for what you feel fits best in this world. Maybe all it needs is your characters! Overall it's really awesome though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool environment! Makes me want to practice drawing cool rocks, haha. I do feel that its super heavy on the left side though. Maybe if there was a character or something else on the right side...? The pointiness of the rocks make me feel like this is a sort of scary place, I'm not sure if that was what you're going for, but if so good job. The whiteness/emptiness of the sky makes me feel like this is somehow at the top of some mountain with only clouds in the background or something.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cool! I like the various elements of this environment. It definitely gives us the feel of this place, except I wonder if there is a way to make it feel colder (hard without color). I also agree that compositionally the values and contrast on the left really draw you over there, but when you get there you wonder why you should be there more than in the rest maybe if you expanded the left edge of the canvas and let that dark surface over there fill up some additional space it would allow the canyon area to be more central and create a more comfortable focal area. Like I said though, very cool.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks great! The rocks are really well designed and I think the values hold it together well. The only thing I am wondering about is what is going on in the sky. Is it supposed to be completely blank? If so, would there be brighter hi-lights on the ground? Over all I love this, nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can tell you worked hard on the design and it shows. I can already see frodo and his fellow hobbits traveling across this vastly interesting terrain. I think you could spend 20 hours polishing this gem and that would be my only suggestion. Have FUN! :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice shape: I love the jagged waves of mountainous terrain that shoot up then level off dramatically at the top. the contrast between jagged and smooth really ROCKS! (haha get it? so punny.....) And, the space is GREAT. the value and line really team up to make the illusion of space!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is cool/epic! I love how you designed the rocks. They have a personality to them. I kinda agree with the first comment of how it might be cool to see a little of something else besides rocks as well. And also how it's a little heavy on the left simply because that's where all the darkest values are. Maybe you could just make the small dark rock on the bottom left a bit bigger. Or add another one. That might balance things out.

    ReplyDelete