Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Value, progress

Edit added to this just to keep things together. I had a little bit of downtime as we were traveling, and started some of the adjustments you mentioned. They already have made a huge difference, and I just wanted to share... Thanks!
And thanks again for a great semester! 



I worked on it on the plane a bit... there's a bit more progress here-


Oh, also, you'd mentioned wanting us to bring our studies from last class, so here's mine-

9 comments:

  1. wahhhh! this is truly a complicated piece! the simplicity of the design is ambiguously hiding its complexity. you're challenging yourself. that's great! i don't have much to say since it is still on the process of becoming the great! i love the scale in this design. the long pillars that soar up ever higher to rich the ceiling, the wide open space into the depth of the space are all great. you've done well arranging the pillars so that the wide space doesn't feel too empty but interesting. nice abstract elements are going on here. i guess you just need to finish this :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think what you've got so far is working. I would push for stronger contrast somewhere in the environment as you finish it up. I'm looking forward to seeing the finished piece!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The color study you did is Amazing. Something that really helped me out with environments was finally finding an idea that I cared enough about to enjoy working on. I think you need to discover the story or idea or whatever that makes you excited enough to WANT to work on. It took me a while to find it, but it has made all the difference. Your piece reminds me of the scene in the Matrix when Neo fights Morfius. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would have to agree with Hana and say you picked a really complicated scene! Complicated can be good; however, I'm not sure if you want the viewer to look at your image and think "that's complicated". You'd probably want to casually hide the complication so someone looking at it might think "oh, a nice normal scene" but little do they know that complication lurking within the depths of the painting.

    With that being said, I would say you should create a hierarchy of light sources (which is strongest and what are subordinate to it). This could help the shadows of the pillars. It might help to put this on a larger art board and draw in your light sources around it so you can visually say "there's the top right light -- the angle of this shadow would be such and such". I'd also find a situation with similar lighting (even some pencils you light at home with some desk lamps) and see what the shadows do. Consider some atmospheric perspective so you can get a better sense of where that back wall is etc. I might try to make it less symmetrical -- this could be done by changing a light's strength or it's angle.

    I think this really is neat and quite a challenge. Keep going! Look at Gurney and other people! Stick with it! Perhaps sticking the detail earlier in there would make it more exciting to do. It will also help with shadows.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know alot of people have commented on this one but I LOVE your in-class study, amiga! (:

    ReplyDelete
  7. As for your assignment, The values seem accurate enough, but they would really pop if you used a full range of values! go to the blackest black. Like Mrs.Frizzle says: "take chances-- make mistakes-- and geeet messy!"
    The perspective is solid, By the way. Archways, man. They will be the death of me-- you are a brave soul to tackle them up in the top corner there. Kudos.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the shadow play; the shadows are the highlight of the piece (ironically enough). I would like to see the room have a bit more personality, it looks like some kind of empty hall, it's hard to see any story at all. Other than that, it's really cool.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you all so much, you've left some brilliant comments! Josh, I'm going to have to try that trick of lighting a pencil or something...
    This really was difficult to lay out, every other draft I would start drawing it and somehow the space would shrink in and become almost claustrophobic, so I'm really glad the space reads as large and airy. The shadows are coming along nicely, and are actually a lot of fun, if rather difficult to invent (I have some reference, but nothing quite like that, so I'm having to draw from memory and compile other reference)
    I'm definitely going to make good use of all of your input, thank you!

    ReplyDelete