I like the subject, and the piano is drawn nicely. I wonder if the figures would draw more attention if there were a little more value contrast around them. maybe more of them in front of the window, or lighter floor. Altogether it is nice but could be great if you push values and light.
like james said, i'd push the value contrast more. it is generally in the middle tone throughout the composition. i suggest adding the light source. i think this piece will bling if you had light rays coming through these gorgeous windows and shine on the figures and the floor. not to mention that it might also enhance the charming mood you have in this piece. other than that this piece has really almost done! i just wish you had more time. i know you can pull this off easily if you just had more time to work on it :( nice composition! i love the grandeur of the space that you are creating with the application of the scale difference between different objects - must be a really really nice house to live in. the perspective that you've chosen also helps the viewers to feel the space - nice choice. you have a such charming story going on in here that warms one's heart. very well-drawn piano - as i've said before the pianos are one of the most hideous thing to draw but you just pulled it off easily!
I agree with the comments already posted. Ah yes, time is of the essence. You know, I'm not completely sold on the environment design- I think by pushing it a bit farther a greater story can be told. I know Melissa Manwill has an amazing breadth of imagination and story telling and I'm sure an extra hour or two would allow you to showcase it in this piece.
This is great! It definitely has this heartwarming vibe to it that is really charming. I like how the surroundings support the characters and bring us right in -- we know what this piece is about. I agree with all that's been said about contrast and such. I think you can push the shadows from the windows further and underneath the piano. Perhaps really letting us know there is a difference in lighting from inside to outside. James is right about the value of the figures too -- I think they could be rendered out a little more too -- some extra attention to the little girl and things. All in all SUPER NICE. Great job!
I like the angle you chose on this, it gives it a sort of sentimental feeling, like you're hovering on a sort of heartwarming scene. It might be really nice to see it with a much stronger light source, to make it feel like there is warm sunlight just spilling in through those huge windows onto them. It could add to the feeling of warmth and energy already there.
The perspective looks pretty good, it's a tricky angle but I think you managed it really well. Maybe the farthest trees in the background need to come up a little higher to maintain the feeling that we're looking a little bit down on them. The overall values look pretty good. I agree you could probably push them a little more, maybe bring in a little more contrast around the characters. But with color you might not need that much. Overall I like it, it has a happy warm feel to it.
Great sense of space. This is a convincing airy, light ballroom.
I agree with what was said by Hana- push those values, sista! Be bold. especially, the shadows cast by the pillars (the ones that frame the windows) should be sharper and longer.
The perspective is slightly uncomfortable: the vertical lines on the walls/columns could stand to be more... vertical. solid, The slant adds this uncomfortable tension that I don;t think you intended. This looks like a happy moment, not a volatile/treacherous one.
I love your use of line! even the straights don't feel sharp. it adds to the tenderness of the moment!
I like the character designs and the overall concept. One thing I noticed for improvement is that I expected a lot more shadow play and contrast in a setting with such large windows. I'm not sure what color the piano is supposed to be, but it seems to be around the same colors as the characters. I would also expect the shadows to be a little more dramatic with such a large light source. Overall though, a fun concept.
Thanks guys! Good comments. Yup. Definitely didn't pour the time into this one, but I put in as much time as I could allow for this :) Just realized that I don't know how to make the outside ground plane look like it's one floor down from where we're looking. :P
I like the subject, and the piano is drawn nicely. I wonder if the figures would draw more attention if there were a little more value contrast around them. maybe more of them in front of the window, or lighter floor. Altogether it is nice but could be great if you push values and light.
ReplyDeletelike james said, i'd push the value contrast more. it is generally in the middle tone throughout the composition. i suggest adding the light source. i think this piece will bling if you had light rays coming through these gorgeous windows and shine on the figures and the floor. not to mention that it might also enhance the charming mood you have in this piece. other than that this piece has really almost done! i just wish you had more time. i know you can pull this off easily if you just had more time to work on it :( nice composition! i love the grandeur of the space that you are creating with the application of the scale difference between different objects - must be a really really nice house to live in. the perspective that you've chosen also helps the viewers to feel the space - nice choice. you have a such charming story going on in here that warms one's heart. very well-drawn piano - as i've said before the pianos are one of the most hideous thing to draw but you just pulled it off easily!
ReplyDeleteI agree with the comments already posted. Ah yes, time is of the essence. You know, I'm not completely sold on the environment design- I think by pushing it a bit farther a greater story can be told. I know Melissa Manwill has an amazing breadth of imagination and story telling and I'm sure an extra hour or two would allow you to showcase it in this piece.
ReplyDeleteThis is great! It definitely has this heartwarming vibe to it that is really charming. I like how the surroundings support the characters and bring us right in -- we know what this piece is about. I agree with all that's been said about contrast and such. I think you can push the shadows from the windows further and underneath the piano. Perhaps really letting us know there is a difference in lighting from inside to outside. James is right about the value of the figures too -- I think they could be rendered out a little more too -- some extra attention to the little girl and things. All in all SUPER NICE. Great job!
ReplyDeleteI like the angle you chose on this, it gives it a sort of sentimental feeling, like you're hovering on a sort of heartwarming scene.
ReplyDeleteIt might be really nice to see it with a much stronger light source, to make it feel like there is warm sunlight just spilling in through those huge windows onto them. It could add to the feeling of warmth and energy already there.
The perspective looks pretty good, it's a tricky angle but I think you managed it really well. Maybe the farthest trees in the background need to come up a little higher to maintain the feeling that we're looking a little bit down on them. The overall values look pretty good. I agree you could probably push them a little more, maybe bring in a little more contrast around the characters. But with color you might not need that much. Overall I like it, it has a happy warm feel to it.
ReplyDeleteGreat sense of space. This is a convincing airy, light ballroom.
ReplyDeleteI agree with what was said by Hana- push those values, sista! Be bold. especially, the shadows cast by the pillars (the ones that frame the windows) should be sharper and longer.
The perspective is slightly uncomfortable: the vertical lines on the walls/columns could stand to be more... vertical. solid, The slant adds this uncomfortable tension that I don;t think you intended. This looks like a happy moment, not a volatile/treacherous one.
I love your use of line! even the straights don't feel sharp. it adds to the tenderness of the moment!
I like the character designs and the overall concept. One thing I noticed for improvement is that I expected a lot more shadow play and contrast in a setting with such large windows. I'm not sure what color the piano is supposed to be, but it seems to be around the same colors as the characters. I would also expect the shadows to be a little more dramatic with such a large light source. Overall though, a fun concept.
ReplyDeleteThanks guys! Good comments.
ReplyDeleteYup. Definitely didn't pour the time into this one, but I put in as much time as I could allow for this :) Just realized that I don't know how to make the outside ground plane look like it's one floor down from where we're looking. :P