Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Clue House -- In Transition


Right now this isn't looking super hot -- it has a way to go. To be frightfully honest I spent a while this weekend doing some cool comic pages! Check those out at TheShiningBeacon.blogspot.com! Ok, ok, a little shameless advertising. Seriously though, I'm sorry I haven't spent as much time as you all have -- but I WILL! Keep checking back for an updated image!


8 comments:

  1. Looks great so far Josh! My favorite part is the shadow of the fence across the path; it definitely feels like a night scene with a full moon :) My eyes want to be lead up to the cool building in the background and get that "reward" like Nathan Fowkes would tell us about - but I'll bet that's already your plan when you finish it. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ya, I agree with Miranda. The fence and the shadows are boss! I'm sure this will change a lot from this point, but all I can say from here is that all your objects are very similar in scale and level of importance in the image. I would just play with the visual hierarchy a bit, especially to make the house feel large and looming. I just realized that was a classic example of alliteration haha :)

    Good job Josh!

    ReplyDelete
  3. and I agree with the previous two comments. The shadows are awesome! Once you get everything established, I'm sure it will all tie together well. I might change the shape of the tree on the left a little bit so it's not so blocky... but I'm sure it will change when you define and finish it so my biggest piece of advice would be to finish it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like that you decided to go with more square shapes for the mansion, that helps it not feel so much like a haunted house anymore! I really like the curving path that leads you to the mansion too, and I kind of wish the fence didn't cover it so much, maybe moving it over a bit would help. Good work, I can't wait to see it finished!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is looking cool so far, I like the pattern the fence and shadows create. To be frightfully honest (;)), because of the size of the fence and trees, I feel like this is a house not a mansion. For it to feel more mansion-y, I kind of want it to be more big, sort of looking-down-my-nose-at-you if that makes sense (which of course it doesn't since houses don't have noses. But I feel like any kind of house needed a nose, it would have to be a mansion so they would have something to look down past ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice work on the fence shadow. I like the design of the house. You've made it really solid looking and almost more castle than a rickety haunted house. I think it would help if you made the tree trunk on the left thinner and bring down the gap between the branch and trunk on the tree on the right to make the shape less dominant and heavy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes! I get to be commentator #7. Well Josh, the mood is nice, the values really work AWESOME. You know, whenever you do "dark" stuff it really shows that you care about it and it turns out great. Here's one nitpick- the one swirly thin plant needs a few more of its kind so it doesn't feel like it comes from nowhere. Maybe a few thin ones mixed at the bottom with the thicker ones so that the don't distract. NIce work! :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really like the mood of this piece, and the shadow play from the fence. I would like to see the tree in the mid-ground a little more fleshed out. If there is enough light to create shadows from the fence, we should see some of that light on the trunk and in the leaves of the tree. Very spooky, and fun. :)

    ReplyDelete