josh! well done. the piece does feel little too steril tho. i don't know if you were going for that mood or not, but as nathan fawkes and justin has always said adding some hints of characters might help this environment design. as a viewer, i feel tooo distant from this illustration - not at all because its done poorly but i just don't feel some connection to it?? if it makes sense?? i think this will also solve the narration/story part of this design - where this place is, what this place is supposed to be, etc. for now, where the rocks are seem to be the main focus of this design - the stage of the story but it does not tell any story other that it is a rocky area and it makes me question/confused what this environment suppose to be. however, nice rendering of the architecture and everything. i love the gray tone you've used and the tidiness in your rendering style. well done :-)
Nice design and good craftsmanship. I agree with Hana on the character. Pushing the values more would help too I think. I also wonder what is going on in front of the gate... it looks like a chasm, except there are things floating above it at ground level. It is definitely going somewhere, just taking another pass over it pushing values and looking at reference of rocks etc. for details would really let nice elements shine.
The design of the gateway is interesting. I also like how you've rendered the further much softer than the closer ones. I also like the suggested texture on the roofs. It would be neat if you suggest texture on other surfaces as well.
Wow, I really love this. The design and rendering are delicately and masterfully rendered. I can tell you really spent some quality love and time into the piece and it shows. I think you nailed it man- design, value, mood, story- it's all there. Adding color would just be a scoop of vanilla ice cream on top of an already iced cake. Awesome work :)
Overall it looks pretty nice, the line perspective is good and it looks very refined. I think the atmospheric perspective could be pushed a little more, maybe bring a little more contrast into the foreground so that you can really tell the background is far away. Probably color would help with that. But the quality of the rendering is really good, and I like the shape and contrast of the gate a lot.
I really like this how it is! It has a Shaun Tan type of feeling - like a little eerie/cool. There isn't a whole lot of value contrast but in this case, I think it's working well. I suppose just a few more lights would be great. Then other than that, the only other thing is the shadow of the gate. It's a little odd to me...maybe there just needs to be some shadows elsewhere too. Like at the base of the wall. I think this piece is so cool though Josh :).
Really nice subtle shadows, the only improvement I can think of is that the rocks look like they are floating over the ground, I'm not sure if it was intentional or not. If it was, great job. :)
josh! well done. the piece does feel little too steril tho. i don't know if you were going for that mood or not, but as nathan fawkes and justin has always said adding some hints of characters might help this environment design. as a viewer, i feel tooo distant from this illustration - not at all because its done poorly but i just don't feel some connection to it?? if it makes sense?? i think this will also solve the narration/story part of this design - where this place is, what this place is supposed to be, etc. for now, where the rocks are seem to be the main focus of this design - the stage of the story but it does not tell any story other that it is a rocky area and it makes me question/confused what this environment suppose to be. however, nice rendering of the architecture and everything. i love the gray tone you've used and the tidiness in your rendering style. well done :-)
ReplyDeleteNice design and good craftsmanship. I agree with Hana on the character. Pushing the values more would help too I think. I also wonder what is going on in front of the gate... it looks like a chasm, except there are things floating above it at ground level. It is definitely going somewhere, just taking another pass over it pushing values and looking at reference of rocks etc. for details would really let nice elements shine.
ReplyDeleteThe design of the gateway is interesting. I also like how you've rendered the further much softer than the closer ones. I also like the suggested texture on the roofs. It would be neat if you suggest texture on other surfaces as well.
ReplyDeleteWow, I really love this. The design and rendering are delicately and masterfully rendered. I can tell you really spent some quality love and time into the piece and it shows. I think you nailed it man- design, value, mood, story- it's all there. Adding color would just be a scoop of vanilla ice cream on top of an already iced cake. Awesome work :)
ReplyDeleteOverall it looks pretty nice, the line perspective is good and it looks very refined. I think the atmospheric perspective could be pushed a little more, maybe bring a little more contrast into the foreground so that you can really tell the background is far away. Probably color would help with that. But the quality of the rendering is really good, and I like the shape and contrast of the gate a lot.
ReplyDeleteI really like this how it is! It has a Shaun Tan type of feeling - like a little eerie/cool. There isn't a whole lot of value contrast but in this case, I think it's working well. I suppose just a few more lights would be great. Then other than that, the only other thing is the shadow of the gate. It's a little odd to me...maybe there just needs to be some shadows elsewhere too. Like at the base of the wall. I think this piece is so cool though Josh :).
ReplyDeleteReally nice subtle shadows, the only improvement I can think of is that the rocks look like they are floating over the ground, I'm not sure if it was intentional or not. If it was, great job. :)
ReplyDelete