Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Kelsey Datwyler- Value Assignment


Friday Studies of the HFAC


and my linear perspective drawing because I forgot to post it to this blog:



9 comments:

  1. Lol, I am enjoying the clutter of assignments! You handled the value assignment very well, and did a good job at creating a very "clean" image. The only problem I have is that it thirsts for creativity, I feel that there is a story missing from this beautifully executed drawing that could give the piece a great feel of depth. Aside from that, it IS a very pretty picture.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like the feel that you were able to get with your value piece with the textures. I also like that it doesn't have super high contrast. It feels like there should be some characters in it somewhere to be the center of attention which is nice. The only thing that's bothering me is the leg on the coffee table closest to the Christmas tree, it feels a little odd to me for some reason. Maybe because it's not curving in the same way as the other leg? Anyway, this is great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the angle/point of view you have: I definitely feel like I'm in that space, and it feels cozy.
    I would however, add some details to make it feel more lived-in, like presents under the tree, a grate in the fireplace, some office type supplies on the desk, or maybe even adding a character sitting in that comfy looking chair. Just some cluttery evidence besides candles and a letter that people live there :)

    You did a great job at keeping your lines clean and straight- something I struggle with. Also, great job with the perspective with the floorboards and tiles. It looks great, Kelsie!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a beautifully crafted drawing Kels! I think other people have hit on this, but there are a lot of straight and stiff lines, so if you add something to counter balance that, especially in a place where you want to draw attention, it would make the piece even better. But overall I was really impressed with your drawing. It makes me really excited for Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice! It is well drawn and has great texture and interesting details. It doesn't need to have a ton of contrast, however, the lighting seems pretty flat, even though it ought to be lit unevenly by all those candles. so a little bit more variety in value (candle light fades fast) would be nice. Looks really good!

    ReplyDelete
  6. nicely done!! craftmanship is just perfect! very well drawn and carefully designed environment for sure! i wonder if pushing a bit more light area could enhance the coziness. you have good medium/dark tones. i just kinda wish the immediate surroundings of the candle light or the candle light itself could be lighter in value. other than that, this piece is just yelling for your characters to thrive in here!! this is just a perfect base to start your story. actually you should create an illustration just off from environment design. just add a character or too then you are done! nice details in the interior. good sense of mood and space. just very nicely done!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kelsey I love your drawing! The house is charming and I love the tree, wallpaper and all the little details. I think having a stronger sense of how the light sources are affecting the scene
    9particularly the area directly around the candles would help tie it together and give the piece a stronger focal point. Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really love this drawing. It's precise, but not rigid, and I like the details in the floor and the wallpaper, it all ties together really nicely. I would suggest to add a few more shadows around the room being cast by the candles. Candles normally add really interesting shadows, and I think it would add a more realistic touch to the work. Great job overall.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Everyone! Thanks for your ideas and comments. They have been helpful in making changes in my drawing! Thanks for your time!

    ReplyDelete